Are You Still Here?
Colour me
unimpressed. It frankly disenchants me that the human attention span has
degraded to the point where, unless there are subtitles or footage of car
crashes playing in the background, we seem to move on from otherwise incredible
things in a staggeringly short amount of time.
Two years
ago, one of the single greatest -real life- miracles took place… For those of
us that have aspirations lying in our (hopefully not too) distant future. Elon
Musk and his band of merry astro-engineers accomplished something that not even
the great Gene Roddenberry completely conceptualized in between his rampant alcohol
benders. (Let me just say this, I do overexaggerate, I do not judge, but one
would have to be on some kind of unorthodox medication in order to come up with
horny green women… Just saying.)
SpaceX caught,
what is essentially a twenty-story building with a pair of sticks. A twenty-story
building that, as near as makes no difference, fell back down from space to settle
ever so gently betwixt the bosom of a few welded and bolted chopsticks (That’s
what they actually called them). This was arguably the single greatest event in
the mind of the hopeful explorer that has ever turned their eyes to the sky at
night, dreaming that Star Trek would very soon be somewhat of a documentary.
(Horny green women included... Remember kids, we are not sexist or speci-ist,
unless absolutely necessary).
Yet here we
are, barely two years later and -from what I can tell- not a single functional
care is given anymore. In a land, long, long ago (57 years) the entire planet
was buzzing with a hopeful future for months, if not years after the first man
set foot on our closest neighbour. Of course, after the fourth or fifth time
the novelty wears off, but catching a whole building with a pair of aluminium
twigs only happened twice!
I shudder
to think what kind of calamity could recapture the global imagination like the
Apollo missions (at least 11 to 13) did. And I say calamity, because I unfortunately
fail to see my people celebrating good things anymore… Even the religious folk
suffer from this – if something good happens, ah, God is good. If something bad
happens? THE END IS NIGH!
How did we
get to a point where we are effectively bored with miracles? I refuse to accept
that it’s because there are so many happening so regularly, because they don’t.
These kinds of technological miracles come once in a lifetime, and we have
buried ours under 23 gigabytes of hilariously unfunny Trump gifs.
We are slowly
but surely making our way deeper into the cosmos. Just – please - try and pay
attention before you miss it.
Comments
Post a Comment